Unfinished Blocks Transformed with Stenciling!


I took some uncompleted quilt blocks from who-knows-when and reworked them with a couple layers of gelliprinted stenciling.

I made blocks out of stamped and printed fabric along with commercial fabrics.  I liked it, but now don’t remember what I had in mind.  From time to time, the blocks resurfaced, but I didn’t know what to do with them. They sat uncompleted with other unfinished projects all this time. 

Over the past few years, I made successful quilt projects out of abandoned quilt blocks.  I found that I didn’t have much attachment to them so I felt free to experiment by cutting them up, or printing, or trying out quilting ideas, often with surprising results.

The old quilt blocks were a great starting point, but need more work.

I’ve been printing on fabric lately, so thought these blocks might be an interesting way to try printing on pieced fabrics.  I started with black fluid acrylic paint and used a brayer to ink up a gelli printing plate. I chose a stencil with architectural elements and placed it over the inked plate.  I pressed one of the blocks facedown on the print plate and stencil and rubbed it to transfer the paint to the block.  

Private stencil from Stencilgirl Club – Oct2016

The pulled print looked pretty interesting, so I kept going until all the blocks were printed.

I continued until I printed all the blocks.  I felt like it needed more color so mixed a pleasing purplish-blue with some red, blue, and white paints by squirting a few dots of each on the gelli plate and mixed it using brayer strokes.  Each time I needed more of this color, I mixed it this way which added variety to the color.  I chose a text stencil and printed around the edges of each block.  

And really liked the result!

I also printed the same text on some dark purple batik fabric that I thought might work for the binding.

My blocks after two layers of overprinting.

I trimmed and arranged the blocks into a pleasing arrangement a little larger than 12″ x 12″. And machine quilted it with a bright yellow thread similar to lines on the stencil.

I added some yellow paint to balance out the yellows on both sides of the composition.

Night Lights – finished 12″ x 12″ quilt


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s