A few weeks ago I completed a silk screening class at San Francisco Art Institute with artist Jonathan Palmer. I was inspired by some of his prints where he combined silk screening and relief printing and decided to create my own series using these techniques. I posted about it here.
I created three related prints with a background nest-like structure, plus bird elements, such as feathers, wings, and birds. Then I printed linocut body parts over this. The project is still in progress, but I’ve completed all the prints and machine quilting for two of the pieces. I did some experimenting with the stitching and found that adding some thin batting added depth and texture. Without that, the stitching didn’t seem to add much. After completing the quilting, I mounted the pieces onto 18″ x 24″ stretcher bars.